Are you trying to eat healthy but still crave delicious comfort foods like chicken nuggets? Well, you’re in luck! Optavia has a recipe for Lean and Green Chicken Nuggets with Buffalo Sauce that will satisfy your cravings without derailing your diet.
Optavia is a popular weight loss program that focuses on providing nutritious and portion-controlled meals. Their Lean and Green recipes are designed to help you stay on track while still enjoying flavorful and satisfying meals.
In this recipe, I’ll share the recipe for Optavia’s Lean and Green Chicken Nuggets with Buffalo Sauce, as well as a bonus recipe for Kale Chips to complete your guilt-free, tasty meal.
Optavia Lean and Green Chicken Nuggets with Buffalo Sauce & Kale Chips
This recipe features crispy Sesame Buffalo Chicken Nuggets served with flavorful kale chips. The chicken is marinated in pickle juice and coated in a spicy buffalo sauce, while the kale is seasoned and baked until crispy. It's a delicious and healthier alternative to traditional fried chicken nuggets.
Type: Lean and Green Main Course
Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
Calories: 340 Calories
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch bite-sized cubes
- 1 cup no sugar added pickle juice
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, divided
- 6 Tbsp hot sauce
- 4 tsp sesame oil
- Cooking spray
- Marinate the chicken with pickle juice for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line two sheet pans with parchment paper or foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Remove leaves from kale stems and tear or cut the kale into large bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry thoroughly.
- Toss the kale with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spread a single layer of kale on one prepared sheet pan, avoiding overcrowding.
- Spray the top of the kale with non-stick cooking spray and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until crisp, but not burnt.
- Drain the chicken from the pickle juice and toss it with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Spread the chicken in a single layer on the other prepared sheet pan, avoiding overcrowding.
- Spray the top of the chicken with non-stick cooking spray and place it in the oven 5 to 6 minutes before the kale chips are done. Ensure the chicken cooks to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- While the chicken nuggets are cooking, whisk together the hot sauce and sesame oil in a liquid measuring cup.
- Once the chicken is cooked, toss it with the buffalo sauce.
- For one portion, serve 6 ounces of chicken nuggets, a 1/4 of the kale chips, and drizzle 1/2 tablespoons of sesame buffalo sauce over the dish.
- This recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts and bakes the nuggets and kale chips, reducing the amount of unhealthy fats compared to fried alternatives.
- The hot sauce in the buffalo sauce may be too spicy for those with sensitive taste buds or a low tolerance for heat.
More Cooking Tips For Optavia Chicken Recipe
After marinating, consider patting the chicken dry with a paper towel. This will help the exterior of the chicken get a nice crispy texture when baked. And for an even bolder flavor punch, try searing the chicken cubes in a hot skillet for a minute before baking. It’ll give them a delightful golden crust.
Opt for a high-quality, naturally fermented pickle juice. These juices are typically more complex in flavor and can impart a deeper, tangy undertone to your chicken.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding a few crushed garlic cloves or a sprinkle of crushed red pepper to the marinade to intensify the flavor profile.
Different varieties of kale have distinct flavors and textures. Consider using a mix like curly kale for crispness and lacinato (or dinosaur) kale for a slightly chewier texture.
Remember, massaging your kale with a tiny bit of oil before seasoning can break down its fibrous texture, making it even crispier when baked.
This table shows the macronutrients for this Optavia chicken dinner, including calories, proteins, fats, and carbs.
|Per 1 Serving||Per 1 Serving|
1 Healthy Fat
|340 Calories |
50 g Protein
10 g Carb
11 g Healthy Fat